Sunday, June 22, 2008

Eric Margolis on why the US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan

Eric Margolis wrote a great column in the Toronto Sun about why the United States invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. He also mentioned that four major western oil companies, Exxon Mobil, Shell, BP, and Total will be signing a US brokered no-bid contracts to begin exploiting Iraq's oil fields. These same companies were expelled from Iraq when Saddam Hussein nationalized the Iraqi oil industry. He also wrote that the US needs Afghanistan through which to build a pipeline from the oil rich states of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakstan to Pakistan. This oil will help feed the SUVs in America.

I will add that if the US were not leading the oil development and pipelines, Russia and/or China could. If Russia were ever to make an oil development and pipeline agreement with Iran and Azerbaijan, the US could go to war with Iran by using the pretext of Iran exporting Islamic extremism in the Middle East.

3 comments:

susansmith said...

1, 2, 3, 4, what are we fighting for,
I think I know, but it's Not little girls,
1, 2, 3, 4, what are we fighting for,
I think I know, but it's Not dem-cra-cy,
1, 2, 3, 4, I think I know, and it's OIL, and I give a damn!

Skinny Dipper said...

Here's a Ricky Martinesque tune from "The Cup of Life":

♪ Here we go! Oilé oilé oilé!
♪ Go go go! Oilé oilé oilé!

runiteking1 said...

My dad has a somewhat more sinister reason for why America invaded Iraq.

Once the army caused enough disruption to the oil supply, the top American elites can control the oil prices. Then they can make the price go higher.

Though this would hurt the American economy, this would hurt the developing economies even more, lengthening the position of America as a superpower even longer.